Why Mahama Has Yet to Appoint a Defence Minister — Felix Kwakye Ofosu Explains

Government spokesperson Felix Kwakye Ofosu says President John Mahama does not see any immediate urgency in appointing a substantive Defence Minister because the ministry continues to function effectively under the current arrangement.

Speaking on JoyNews’ PM Express on Monday, the Abura Asebu-Kwamankese MP defended the prolonged vacancy at the Defence Ministry after host Evans Mensah reminded him that the President had earlier indicated a new minister would be appointed after Christmas.

According to Mr Kwakye Ofosu, the absence of a substantive minister has not created any challenges within Ghana’s security structure.

“Any day that the President communicates to me that he has appointed a Defence Minister, I’ll make it known to you,” he said.

He stressed that Ghana’s defence architecture remains stable and operational despite the vacancy.

“By and large, we have held the fort, and the government has functioned effectively. There have not been any lapses, as far as I know, in terms of Ghana’s defence architecture,” he stated.

Mr Kwakye Ofosu further indicated that the military sector has actually seen improvements in recent months, especially in the area of logistics and equipment acquisition.

“Things appear to be improving on that front because they are acquiring additional firepower in terms of equipment and retooling, and all that is going quite well,” he noted.

He also suggested that the current setup may even be beneficial since the Finance Minister is overseeing the Defence Ministry in an acting capacity.

“Perhaps it helps that the man who has to bankroll it is also the one who is in the acting capacity at the Defence Ministry. So everything is on track,” he explained.

He insisted that if there are any shortcomings within the ministry, they cannot be blamed on the absence of a standalone Defence Minister.

When pressed on why President Mahama has delayed naming a replacement following the passing of Dr Edward Omane Boamah, Mr Kwakye Ofosu maintained that the decision lies solely with the President.

“As I’ve indicated, it is the President’s prerogative to appoint ministers, and once he deems it necessary to do so at any moment, he will communicate it to me, and I will communicate it to you,” he said.

He concluded by assuring Ghanaians that the ministry remains in capable hands and continues to operate smoothly.

“The Defence Ministry continues to be in safe and experienced hands. Their fortunes have even begun to improve over the last few months because they are acquiring equipment necessary to keep them up to speed in terms of operational readiness and the ability to defend our territorial integrity,” he added.

“So all is well on that front, and as of when the President deems it necessary to do so, he will do so.”

0 0 votes
Article Rating
guest
Optional

0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Posts Tile

0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x